X11 and WinKey [was Re: Updating to xorg-x11 packages?]

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 07:37:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

>> Again, I'm very hesitant to use rpm triggers, but at this point
>> nothing is ruled out yet.  I'm open to suggestions.
>
>I vote for using /etc/ld.so.conf.d infraestructure introduced by Jakub
>in glibc-2.3.3-18.
>
>We can simply add an entry for /usr/X11R6/lib inside
>/etc/ld.so.conf.d/xorg-x11 (for example). This way, even if deinstalling
>XFree86 removes /usr/X11R/lib from /etc/ld.so.conf, the entry will still
>exist inside /etc/ld.so.conf.d/xorg-x11.

The trigger scripts are already in place in CVS, and will be in a
future build.  The ld.so.conf.d stuff is a promising solution for
the future, but I'm not ready to switch to it yet for a few
reasons:

- It's brand new, and to the best of my knowledge it hasn't been
  widely tested yet.  I'd rather wait until it is known to not
  have any nasties in it, especially for something as important
  as X11 installation.

- The trigger scripts that are present now should work just fine
  for the immediate need we have.

- Using the ld.so.conf.d approach makes the packages Fedora Core
  2 specific, meaning the xorg-x11 packaging is more difficult to
  try to get working on FC1 or older OS releases should someone
  (myself included) want to use xorg-x11 on an older release in
  an unsupported fashion.

Once I decide to throw away package compatibility for FC1 and
older OS releases however, I will switch to the new mechanism, as
it will likely be well used by then, and any glaring surprises
that pop up should be long since fixed likely.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris       ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer - X.org X11 maintainer - Red Hat