Very High Load Average on x86_64

Lorenzo Luconi Trombacchi lorenzo at reality.it
Tue Mar 30 16:28:55 UTC 2004

Thank you for your answers.

I tried kernel 253.2.1 and it works, I tried also kernel 2.6.4-1.298,
downloaded from arjanv
ftp and it works too.

Anyway I have a strange a problem. The Load Average goes very very high
without any
particular reason. For example installing the rpm kernel the load goes
over 4.00 or copying
a file via samba from Windows machines to Linux the load goes over 6.00
or immediatelly
after boot of Fedora the load reach 2.00 or 3.00.
Is not only a problem of load... the PC is often unusable..... the
output of simple command like
ls o ps some time need some seconds to complete.
I found the same problem with older kernel (like 2.6.2-1.74) and with
the last kernel
(2.6.4-1.298).

The CPU idle time is always very high and I didn't find any process that
consume cpu....
anyway I tried to disable all services, but the problem persist.

I'm not sure if  is it an hardware problem or a software problem.
I tried to change mainboard, ram, hdd controllers with no benefit.

This is my hw configuration:
CPU Athlon64 3200+
512 MB Ram
Controller SATA Promise TX4 (PCI)  (I tried also with on-board
controller Promise TX2 and SATA VIA)
3 HDD SATA Maxtor 160 Gbyte with  RAID software (RAID1 for /boot and
RAID5 for others) and LVM2.
Mainboard MSI K8T-NEO (I tried also with Asus K8V)

Probably is some kind of IO problems but I really don't know howto find
it and where Kernel spends his time.
I appreciate any kind of help or suggestion! I tried to use kernel
profile and oprofile (I downloaded
the x86_64 rpm from arjanv ftp), but I'm not a Kernel developper and I
don't know howto use these
tools.

Thanks to all.

Lorenzo