gaim depends on tcl

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Mar 31 09:06:05 UTC 2004

Hi,

> the gaim-0.75-1.3.0 requires tk & tcl, which I do not have installed,
> so I went to investigate. The spec does not mention tcl anywhere.
> So, obviously, during the build process, configuration picks
> an installed libtcl/libtk, then somehow informs rpm that these
> libraries are required. How does it actually happen?
>

> I could understand if gaim spec had a scriptlet which parsed the output
> of ./configure and set something like %wehavetcl, then added a Requires
> like the above. But this is not what is happening. Can you enlighten me
> about the magic workings in the case of gaim?

I think all that is happening is that redhat's build system doesn't have
a minimal environment for building rpms in.  The package gets built
inside an environment with tcl installed, configure picks it up, and the
resulting package is built with tcl dependencies.

Another point in favour of clean build roots.

Thomas

"First lesson : you have to treat your kite like a woman."
"You mean, take her home and meet your mom, sir ?"
"No, get inside her five times a day and
take her to heaven and down again !"