My initial experiances with FC2-test2

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Wed Mar 31 13:11:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 14:53, Chris Chabot wrote:

> 2) I have a wireless optical mouse thingy, which only works on USB. I
> noticed that the default movement speed of a mouse in X is quite slow,
> so i went to the gnome-control-center to speed things up a bit.. To my
> supprise i could slide sliders to my hearts content, but with no visible
> changes.. It turns out the default XF86Config is configured for 2 mouse
> inputs (old style psaux mice, and usb mice).. And gnome-control-center's
> mouse applet only changed the settings for the core mouse.. Resolution
> was to remove the "Mouse0" device input section, rename the device id
> for DevInputMice to Mouse0, and remove the DevInputMice reference in the
> ServerLayout section... After this the mouse configuration set the mouse
> speed for my usb mouse nicely again

The input subsystem of 2.6 kernels is very different from 2.4. In fact,
with 2.6 kernels, all mices are multiplexed into a single device called
/dev/input/mice. Thus, you can define a single Mouse in XF86Config
pointing to /dev/input/mice instead of having several mouse entries.
This works for me and my laptop with a built-in PS/2 touchpas and a USB
Wheel Mouse.