Future: fhs 2.3 compliance for fc3

Trever L. Adams tadams-lists at myrealbox.com
Wed Mar 31 22:54:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 17:38 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A possibly related discussion; we've been wondering if we can make the
> OS image read-only (mounting it that way, or via selinux).
>
> Then have /tmp and probably /var in RAM (or wiped on boot), and have
> home directories and server/app data such as web pages to be served on
> network mounts.
>
> This allows you to maintain the OS image in a central location and the
> homedirs and server/app data in central locations, and have a single
> network-wide master copy of all important state.
>
> Any filesystem rearrangement probably impacts this plan (some
> rearrangement may be needed for this plan).
>
> Havoc

Hello Havoc et al,

I am sure most would disagree, but if Fedora even goes in the direction
that would allow this setup to be done easily, you run into several
problems of course... the primary one being heterogeneous systems (even
if they all are x86, they won't all be the same as far as sse sse2 3dnow
3dnowext, etc.).  Also, you have /etc.

However, these can all be overcome using symlinks and other fun things.
However, and maybe NFS4 covers this, I don't know.  I know codafs and
intermezzo do this to different levels.  The biggest thing needed (but
maybe not always wanted) is a caching file system.  One that supports
journals locally, acls and all that.  Preferably something that does a
cached and networked version of ext3.  I know codafs doesn't integrate
the acls, etc. as well as intermezzo does and wouldn't work as an
underpinnings for samba.  Intermezzo might, but I don't know.  I haven't
kept up the last year or two.

Anyway: cached = on disk cache that is only lost when specifically told
to be lost or gets bumped due to local disk space being nearly full and
is updated automatically from the server.

ACLs and the other extended attributes maybe should be pluggable,
depending on the underpinning system (required to be the same on both
ends, required to be journaled, etc.)

Sorry if none of this makes sense.  I am a bit sleep deprived at the
moment.

Trever
--
"Having Microsoft give us advice on open standards is like W.C. Fields
giving moral advice to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir" -- Scott McNealy,