Future: fhs 2.3 compliance for fc3

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Mar 31 22:56:27 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, Havoc Pennington <hp at redhat.com> said:
> A possibly related discussion; we've been wondering if we can make the
> OS image read-only (mounting it that way, or via selinux).

I run with /usr read-only already, and if I didn't have users in
/etc/passwd I could mount / read-only.

> Then have /tmp and probably /var in RAM (or wiped on boot), and have
> home directories and server/app data such as web pages to be served on
> network mounts.

/var needs to continue across reboots, as that is where logs are (and
not everything can do network logging, nor do you want to log to an NFS
mount).  I don't see you being able to get away from having some local
writable storage.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>