Kudzu issue

Nathanael Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Fri May 14 23:01:39 UTC 2004

On Friday, May 14, 2004, at 03:21 PM, Peter Arremann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we've a couple of different systems here that all experience the same
> problem - Network cards get configured correctly during the install
> but when you reboot, the devices get re-detected every time. We've
> been able to reproduce the problem with the KT600 integrated VIA-Rhine
> and realtek 8139 cards.
>
> I've looked at the issue quite a bit and the problem seems to be that
> the ioctl calls for the hwaddress detection fail if the interface is
> not
> up. You can verify that by booting the system in single user mode,
> the drivers by hand and then run kudzu. it will try to reconfigure the
> device. Ignore that. Then use ifconfig to up the device (no IP
> required)
> and then rerun kudzu.. it should work this time - at least on the 2
> cards
> I've tried that fixed the problem.
>
> The code that acutally fails is in kudzu.c getNetInfo (790-810). I've
> no
> problems fixing it and sending in a patch but to do so I'd like to
>
> A) Know that this really is the issue and if it happens on other cards.

I'm not sure about Fedora, but I have 10 machines that I installed RHEL
clones ( Whitebox & Tao) on, they experience this same problem, not a
single machine is identical, though there are many similar cards (at
least similar modules ie realtek etc..) I've turned kudzu off because
of this.

I didn't know fedora had this same problem. I had a couple machines as
fedora, and still have one dev machine as it though it has been off for
quite awhile because of other priorities.

--
Nathanael D. Noblet
Gnat Solutions

T/F 250.385.4613