Menu Policy - please read if you maintain a package with a .desktop file in it!

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Sat May 15 15:41:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Would be kind of nice as an extension of the Preferred Applications
> concept, but it's probably not worth the effort it involves - it'd be a
> fair bit of engineering to make this go. And all you really gain is that
> if you prefer Galeon your Galeon menu item says "Web Browser" instead of
> "Galeon Web Browser"
>
> I guess the bigger win would be to be able to change one place and
> modify our default browser, if you're an admin who wants users to have a
> different browser. Right now you have to modify the panel configuration
> (not for the faint of heart), the Preferred Applications setting, and
> also the MIME association, or so.

Having a general framework for preferred applications without kludges like
htmlview which "everything" honors would pretty much make this whole
discussion irrelevant. I really don't want to see 5 different email
clients and 7 different browsers in the menus, regardless of what's
installed. What I want is to have "Web browser", "Email", "Text editor"
etc generic functionality descriptions in the menus and only change it
*once* in *one* place where I can pick up my preferred browser or editor
etc from everything that's installed (or maybe even available) and be done
with it.

Easier said than done :(

	- Panu -