safe to remove IPV6 from kernel?

Stan Bubrouski stan at ccs.neu.edu
Sat May 22 03:20:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 05:08, David Woodhouse wrote:

> > SB> Quick query, as the title suggests I'm wondering if its safe to
> > SB> remove ip6 from kernel in FC2 + devel?
> >
> > I thought it was built modular, so you could just not load the modules
> > or even move them out of the way and see what breaks.
>
> It is built modular, but CONFIG_IPV6 is one of those broken config
> options where setting it to 'm' actually changes things inside the
> _main_ kernel image. It doesn't _just_ cause the extra module to be
> built.

Exactly... at the current time IPv6 isn't totally modular, because other
sections of the kernel use it which are usually built into the kernel,
thus adding to the size of the kernel, which is what I'm trying to
reduce for the time being.  The reason I didn't just pull out it last
rebuild was because tons of userspace tools are compiled to use IPv6 and
I was wondering if by removing it I would break anything key...

> I don't understand which of those changes is causing a problem for Stan,
> but it's probably best to try to fix that directly so that having the
> ipv6 module available but unloaded is no longer a problem.

I'm having a plethora of problems with 2.6.4+ kernels on my hardware at
the moment, mostly lockups.  I'm trying to narrow things down a bit, but
atm I don't have any use for IPv6 and IPv6 iptables support, so its
going to the bitbucket for now.

> Stan, can you elaborate?

See above.  I think Warren misunderstood what I was asking.  I wasn't
asking anyone to do anything on your side, I was just wondering if *I*
personally remove it, will fc2+devel go nanners...that's all.

> --
> dwmw2

-sb