Sorry...

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Sat May 22 22:01:22 UTC 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004, Stan Bubrouski wrote:

>Hey,
>
>Sorry I haven't been very polite on these lists lately, and I've been
>more than a little unfair to Warren Togami specifically.  And I know its
>totally my fault.  I'm man enough to admit it.

Thanks for saying this.. may it be used as an example to the rest of us
when we are tools too. I probably need it at least once every 3 months.

I am not sure that there is a proper charter for what the mailing lists
say or do. A general posting to each of the lists from Red Hat or an
appointed stuckee of a FAQ and rules of use would probably be a good
thing.. even if it just starts with:

Q. What the f#$@# is going on with Fedora?
A. Hmmm.. we are still dealing with our heads being cut off. Please let
   us run around for another 20 minutes before we fall down. After that
   we will have a FAQ, CVS, build-system, documentation server, WIKI, IM
   server, IRC, NNTP, mailing lists, license agreement, trademark rules,
   and oh about 2000 other things that have all been said have to be
   done RIGHT NOW.

Q. What are each of the lists for?
A. Hmmm.. we would like the lists to be like the following:
  fedora-devel:  long term development of the Fedora project
  fedora-docs:   documenting the madness erm project.
  fedora-list:   question and answers of current Fedora releases
  fedora-legacy: question and answers about past Fedora releases
  fedora-test:   question and answers about current rawhide status.
  fedora-legal:  also known as fedora-loons. its a place where we let
                 the clove smoking, living in their parents basement,
                 idealists hang out and harang everyone for not using
                 the strictest interpretation of the GPL in everything
                 we do. [Sometimes we like to post something there to
                 just get a rise out of them too.]

Q. Is Fedora just a front for people to beta test Red Hat Enterprise
   without knowing it or even getting cool t-shirts?
A. Yes. But to tell you the truth, when you use Debian, Gentoo, or even
   FreeBSD.. you are doing that in some part too. We even were able to
   use a found bug in Hurd to help us make Red Hat Enterprise better,
   but please dont post that to fedora-legal.. it will just work them up
   again.

Q. Are you making fun of us?
A. Yes. But please realize that we are also a part of us, and without
   laughing at ourselves... we would have to realize we were insane, and
   where is the fun in that?

Anyway, here is my first attempt at chronicalling the madness, erm,
project.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645
-- You should consider any operational computer to be a security problem --