Prepackaged configurations

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Sun May 23 00:53:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Carwyn Edwards wrote:

>Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
>In LCFG (http://www.lcfg.org/) you can do:
>
>> Some of the things that _might_ change across canned configurations:
>>
>>  - the package set (the only thing we can change now, via
>>    the Workstation or Server split in the comps file for example)
>>  - specific parts of a config file, e.g. enabling xdmcp in gdm
>>  - optimum partitioning scheme
>>  - kernel boot options

We do many of the same things with CFengine. The one thing I have found
is that the syntax of CFengine really needs a good washing. It is
somewhat inconsistant as the authors have added features and not fixed
the parser any.

Before I got blindsided by work, I was going to try manipulating CFegine
a bit to try and work out those warts. Getting it more integrated into a
packaging system and version control system were also on the list. I
also see as you do with LCFG that it couldnt be dropped into
Fedora/RH/Debian, but would need to be adapted or re-written to meet all
the needs.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645
-- You should consider any operational computer to be a security problem --