Call for Discussion: Summary document concerning Prevention andRecovery of XP Dual Boot Problems

Chris Chabot chabotc at 4-ice.com
Tue May 25 19:34:40 UTC 2004

Hi Jeff, all..

Three notes i have, one of them somewhat 'bitter' i'm afraid.

First of all i found out about this bug by being hit by it .. Unfortunatly i
only have one machine here and needed to get work on it done, so without
knowledge of how to fix this, all that was left to me was to whipe my
partitions completely, losing a bit of data and work in the process, and
re-installing. Now this leads to my actual question.. Is it really smart to
leave FC2 out there when this scenario will probably hit a lot of people?
Not everyone has many computers setup you know, and completely hoosing you
system is probably enough to make people somewhat non sympathetic to what
seems to have caused it (fedora in this case). I know i had to swallow hard
and take a very deep breath when it hit me

Secondly these notes do mostly seemed geared towards quite advanced users?
Specificly "..you should use a utility that can read the drive geometry" ..
I think you've lost quite a bit of your target audiance there already.. What
utility, what do those values mean, how to use those values in the
workaround.. ?

Last i'm missing the part about recovery.. I've read in the bug and in the
email threads that you could use sfdisk (which can be usable by booting the
install/rescue cd, going into rescue mode, installing sfdisk, and running
that command..). Shouldnt we include a guide on how to do that to?

While i do think its great btw to send out a major call to read this info,
with a guide to how to prevent and/or recover from it. I am to put it
mildly, quite supprised the 'Fedora Project' allows this bug to exist in
cd's that anyone can just download.. However well we describe the
fix/workarounds and spread the news, it will not reach a lot of people..
Nevermind about people who just want to try linux out. I remeber the times
when serious dataloss was considered a show-stopper bug.. Having had the
experiance of having lost data and work due to this bug, it's easy to call
this data loss.. So in my eyes a _serious_ show stopper for this release..
Recall is what my voice will shout if anyone will listen; Or atleast patch
the installers on the cd to detect the miss-alignment and refuse to take any
further actions or install..

Really how's it gonna look to the world: "Hey we have this great new
release, but installing it might mean having to do high-tech complicated
workarounds or reinstalling your complete system"