rpm groups and fedora: a modest proposal

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed May 26 06:33:12 UTC 2004

> Comps is totally unsuitable since it limits you to whatever packages
> where known to the distribution at the time of its release. (ie bye bye
> third-party packages).

Anyone can generate a comps file, trivially. The groups support in yum,
for example, can merge multiple comps-format files into one set of
groups.

> Like for spec file i18n we need a solution that permits standalone
> self-contained packages. Anything else will sort-of work with RedHat and
> be rejected by anyone else.

standalone packages are slowly becoming obsolete.

There is no point in discussing groups for standalone packages b/c a
standalone is not a member of any group by its very nature - it is
standalone.

-sv