rpm groups and fedora: a modest proposal

Brad Smith brads at redhat.com
Wed May 26 15:15:34 UTC 2004

> Instead of grouping, might it not make sense to use a keywords field? When
> packaging I find either that something fits in no existing group or several
> existing groups, so I often want multiple entries and often need a new one.

Nicolas Mailhot seems to be advocating something like that and the main
thing holding me back from it is that, as has been pointed out, it would
seem to involve a nontrivial change to the inner-workings of rpm and
introduce a lot backwards-compatability issues.

But the guts of rpm's machinery is not something I'm familiar with
enough to comment much more than that.

--Brad