Confusion with new platforms and packages

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu May 27 07:32:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 22:08 +0100, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> Could you inform me of the status of Fedora Core on an iBook?

It's working very nicely on my G4 PowerBook.

> If it works properly,

Yes, mostly. The tracking bug for all things mac/ppc related is
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/showdependencytree.cgi?id=121179

> how easy it easy to setup up,

The installer doesn't know how to make a hard disk bootable by the Mac
yet. We're working on it. Don't let it autopartition -- make sure you
make a bootstrap partition of 800K (or 1M if the installer doesn't let
you specify 800K). Then when it's finished installing but before you let
it reboot, follow the instructions at
http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/ibook/fedorappc.html to install yaboot.

Join #fedora-ppc on freenode and someone will talk you through it.

> and if binary packages are available.

Yes. http://fedora.linux.duke.edu/fedorappc/ has a known good working
tree from which you can run up2date. I think
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/ppc/
doesn't have a mac boot.iso right now for some reason.

Once the installer is finished it'd be nice to make a real FC2 release
for Mac.

--
dwmw2