small improvements for fedora 3: sound mixing

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sat May 29 19:37:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 12:42:54 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> The problem is that dmix doesn't work for all apps.
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.xine.devel/7058/
>
> is an article of one complaint, for example.

This was fixed in ALSA 1.0.4 I think (or was it 1.0.3?). Anyway, Xine was
one of the last holdout apps that was stopping dmix working correctly in
all cases, and as that has now been nailed I agree that getting proper
ALSA asym/dmix/dsnoop functionality into FC3 should absolutely be a
priority.

The tips given in the fedoranews.org article can be improved upon.
Redefining the default device is the best way to do this, that way you
don't need to tweak every apps settings.

Basically the change just involves adjusting .asoundrc or /etc/alsa.conf.
If nothing else, please try it in the FC3 testing cycle and see if there
are any complaints.

thanks -mike