Intel® 536ep V.92 modem (PCI) chipset driver & 2.6 kernel under FC2

Cosmin Hanulescu csm at fx.ro
Mon May 31 10:04:46 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> since that is a binary only kernel module that will be really hard for
> anyone except intel to do.

Well, I thought that the binary part of the bundle Intel provides is
pretty much the same, only the the code that wrap around it and does the
interfacing with the kernel should be changed according to 2.6. But I
must admit that I can't tell more for I lack skills in the kernel
internals area.

I did compile the thing, changing here and there the headers, but,
obviously, the resulting object file didn't work, as I was expecting..

> However you may be lucky if your modem is supported by the snd_intel8x0m
> alsa driver, that exports your modem as sound device to userspace, and a
> userspace app to "whistle" modem sounds into that exists.

Now that's a funny thing, I'll have a look at it.

Thank you

--
I submit that the world would be much happier, if men were as fully able
to keep silence as they are to speak. - Spinoza