Why are there only i686 and i586 Version of glibc and kernel?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon May 31 18:52:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 06:15:07PM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> hurt p4's while ADD/SUB by one are fast), AMD cpus seem to not care
> really which form is chosen, it seens AMD optimizes in the cpu beyond
> this level. You'll be *really* hard pressed to find (artificial)
> examples where this would slow down AMD cpus even 0.1%....

Likewise my own testing has always found that the Athlon really doesn't care
much how you order instructions. If you think about it AMD have spent years
dealing with everyone optimising for random intel processor of the year and
adapted appropriately. Except on things like 3dnow and prefetch stuff the
AMD really doesn't seem to care.