Menu Policy - please read if you maintain a package with a .desktop file in it!

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri May 14 00:11:14 UTC 2004

> I understand trying to make things simpler, but I also have a problem
> with this.  I will sometimes intentionally install multiple things (like
> OOo and Gnumeric), with the intention of checking them both out to see
> which one I like (or does what I want) better.  I install both from the
> regular install menu in anaconda; with your rule above, I wouldn't end
> up with both in the desktop menus that way.

I couldn't agree more - I admin systems for a number of people. They use
various pieces of software on their own - some like gnumeric b/c it is
fast, some like open office calc for other reasons. What is the merit in
removing these menu options? How will you allow for difference of
choices b/t users?

-sv