The Fedora Hardware Project

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Sun May 16 16:46:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, 16 May 2004, Chris Kloiber wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 03:49, Chan Min Wai wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> How is this hardware Project working? any plane?
>> and by the way are fedora going to come out with some test suit like RHEL3?
>>
>> Like with the link below?
>>
>> http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=files
>>
>> Which will actually increase the speed of testing hardware.
>> However I don't really know if this work :)
>
>I don't see Red Hat doing anything official with Fedora hardware support
>anytime soon. That said, the scripts you located should work without
>{any,many?} changes on Fedora if you want to go that route. Remember
>that these tests are to see if the hardware falls over, they are not
>performance benchmarks. There {are,were?} glaring omissions in the test
>suite, like modems, firewire, and usb devices more complex than mice and
>keyboards.

Well I think most of those were written when many of the items didnt
exist (or were definately not on the supported list). The writers of the
code were pretty sleep/food deprived at the time of writing so cleanups
are probably needed. Thankfully I know that my 1 or 2 additions were
cleaned out way before it got to a web page.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645
-- You should consider any operational computer to be a security problem --