VPN solution(s) for Fedora Core

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Sat May 22 11:08:22 UTC 2004

On 2004-05-21 (Friday) 22:04, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 17:52, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
>
> > There seem to be two general approaches to VPNs, each with their own
> > advantages and disadvantages: kernel space, and user space.  I feel the
> > only kernel solutions worth considering are those which implement IPsec.
> > There exist several packages implementing VPN solutions in userspace,
> > such as vtun, tinc, and OpenVPN.
>
> I would stick with industry-standard technologies, like IPSec, as much
> as possible. I have used IPSec in tunnel mode to setup VPN tunnels
> between several branch offices.

    In my case, here in Bulgaria, I can't - we have clients with dynamic IP addresses
and behind NAT. I use OpenVPN last two months without any problem (except I had to
add alternative ports 'cause in some places 5000/TCP was filtered). I would love to
see OpenVPN and XCA (both available for linux and windows) in Fedora (maybe FC3).
With FC2 I'll surely add IPSec too, but I prefer having them both up and running just
in case (OpenVPN can connect even when you have http proxy only)...

Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79