Prepackaged configurations

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Sat May 22 22:07:21 UTC 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> G. meta-packages. e.g. have a package x-terminal-client that depends
>    on some set of other packages, provides certain config files,
>    etc.
>
>    The obvious problem is that the gdm package provides
>    gdm.conf, so how does a meta-package install a different
>    gdm.conf. If every important daemon/feature supported a
>    conf.d with override files in it, that might answer the
>    question, but sadly that isn't the norm.
>
> H. Some sort of RPM changes. Presumably we could make RPM smart
>    about this problem in some way. I don't have concrete ideas.
>
>Obviously, this is far from fully thought-out at this point, I'm just
>trying to start the thread. It looks pretty likely to me that our
>solution will be a pragmatic compromise that isn't quite ideal. But
>which compromise is the best one?

I will say:

Here, here! This is definately would be very useful. I think it will
take a bit of many of the items you have listed above, and should be
approached also in a systematic way.

FC3 -- documentation (complete by FC6)
FC4 -- breaking RPMS more into seperate
         executables
           bare-essentials, but requires some sort of config.
         documentation
         configuration
           bare-config, specific1-config, specific2-config, etc
            all provide package-config which is required by bare
       (complete by FC7)
FC5 -- better metapackage groupings (complete by FC8)

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645
-- You should consider any operational computer to be a security problem --