Reduce "Core" to 1 Binary CD? -- WAS: Request for Packages in Fedora Core 3

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon May 24 14:25:38 UTC 2004

> Also, if too much functionality gets removed from the installer, kickstart
> installs are either going to be a) broken or b) there will be a whole bunch
> of code in the installer that only exists for kickstart and can't be
> removed.

What if anaconda took the package selection part out of kickstart and
passed it off to yum in  file in a specific place on the system?

So then on the next boot, your startup scripts looked for this file, if
it existed it would tell yum to use it as an input script to
install/remove/update things.

wouldn't that suffice - hell, that's what I do now to get packages that
aren't in Core installed.

B/c sometimes I can't install them in %post for various silly reasons.

-sv