Making Fedora Core CD #1 Standalone -- Core should continue, but let's define a subset

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue May 25 13:41:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:35:03 -0400, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> So what I'm considering is not touching Core itself.  Instead, let's
> define the "absolute minimum" of Core.  If we can do this by making
> sure it is the CD #1 in Core, then it will have minimal impact.  If
> we need to do it by defining a set of "rules" -- maybe a "sub-
> repository" that is still part of Core, but has the contraints that
> no package requires any additional Core packages not in it, then
> let's do it.  I proposed the name "miniCore" or "Quark," but that's
> just a temporary reference I make.
>
> So, onto defining what is in "Quark" ...

I really really really don't think you have to do something as
elaborate as this.
Just have people in the community who care about this issue work on
the comps.xml file definitions that define what a minimal install
includes and have those packages be part of cd1.  No reason to
formalize with lots and lots of policy.
This has come up repeatedly...and people in the community SEEM
interested but those people wander off the mailinglists and never
actually produce anything of usefulness. Look back in the pre-fc1
release discussions there are several threads about how to better
define a minimal install and the go no where...no where fast.
If you are serious about this...you will work on the comps.xml file
with other people who have an interest in a better defined minimal
install option.

-jef