The Fedora Hardware Project

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue May 25 15:45:34 UTC 2004

I think it important to recognize that all of Sun's excellent contribution is desktop focused--exclusively. There's more to accessibility than that. It has to cover the console, bios, boot loader, installation, documentation, etc.

BTW: Helpful as Sun's contribution has been and will continue to be, they've also left us a nasty problem--their dependency on their Java license. So, their desktop contribution comes with yet more cleanup work for gcj.

I am happy to help move this forward, and I am happy to do so for Fedora. However, we need more than just some accessibility folks. For example, I would hope we can reinvigorate Red Hat's participation in FSG A11y work as well. There is an emerging road map. There are also known issues that should just be addressed, and can be addressed without waiting for the road map. Let's take firstboot as an example. I shudder at the thought of making it accessible given the architecture that underlies it. Can we put on the table the notion of moving it to W3C/WAI compliant html/xml markup? That would make accessibility easier to deliver. Is that worthy of consideration?