rpm groups and fedora: a modest proposal

Brad Smith brads at redhat.com
Wed May 26 01:20:51 UTC 2004

Perhaps I've totally misunderstood you, but are you suggesting that we
do away with having any grouping information in the rpm headers at all
and instead having it all in comps.xml?

If so, what about packages that don't appear in comps.xml? Let's face
it, a lot of people are going to install packages from the third-party
repos and it would be awkward at best to just have them all lumped into
an "Other" category.

Plus I have a personal interest in doing the opposite of what you're
suggesting. Currently the headers stored on apt and yum servers don't
include the Group field though it would be great for people to be able
to search by in Fedora Tracker. Thus I'm very pleased that the new XML
metadata format does include this information.

Assuming I didn't misinterpret your post, is there any way we can
reconcile the two approaches?

--Brad