linux registry (no, not that again!)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 22:22:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 22:11:20 +0000, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> Since a registry provides a standard API for writing/reading
> configuration data, configuration utilities become almost micky mouse
> to write - you don't have to learn the rules of all the different
> configuration types (# for comment, or // for comment, or tab
> deliminated key value pairs, or an xml scheme, or whatever).

I'm still not sure why this discussion is going on here...at the
distribution level.
Individual major projects will have to buy into this to be useful. The
distribution maintainers is not going to be able to dictate to
individual projects how to craft configuration schemes.  Are there on
going discussions upstream inside major component projects like xorg
or apache about this approach? If this isn't being discussed seriously
by large projects developers with large obnoxious configuration files,
I don't see the point in discussing this as part of ongoing general
Fedora development discussion. If you expect Fedora to provide an
Electra based configuration for something like xorg in Core, without
upstream xorg buying into it...you're nuts.

-jef"<kids in the hall>9 out of 10 helen's agree.. nothing beats a
good pair of shoes</kids in the hall>"spaleta