A true package manager.

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Sat Nov 6 22:32:42 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 23:04 +0100, Iago Rubio wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 13:22, Jos Vos wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 01:10:09PM +0100, Iago Rubio wrote:
> >
> > > I don't think yum should merge with up2date. Yum bypasses up2date
> > > functionality right now and frankly I don't use up2date ever because
> > > it's still buggy (On my FC1 and FC2 systems).
> >
> > What are the bugs you encounter?
>
> Mostly hangs when downloading packages.

Yep, it also happened to me, many times up2date was just unresponsive
(i.e. it appeared to be hanged).

> I don't know how it works in xoslinux, but in my fedora boxes I don't
> use it because it used to fail, and also because I'm happy with yum.

I don't know if or how up2date was improved post FC2 but I'm running
rawhide and up2date has been very reliable. I was able to upgrade my
system without problems with up2date during the early yum 2.1.x unstable
periods.

> > > I'd really like to interface the rhn applet with yum, or at least to
> > > make it configurable so you could launch your preferred update command -
> > > in my case `xterm -e yum update` :)
> >
> > What do you mean with "interface the rhn applet with yum"?  Rhn-applet
> > works fine with yum repositories.
>
> I mean one "Launch Yum" button instead of the "Launch up2date" button on
> the rhn notification tool dialog :)

You can try this[1]:

GYUM: Graphical User Interface for YUM
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/gyum/
HOWTO build GYUM Alert Icon (yum-applet) [2]
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/yum-applet/

I'm not sure, but I don't think it will work with the latest yum
(2.1.x).

[1] I did, and now I appreciate up2date even more.
[2] This is a partial hacked version of the rhn-applet. IIRC, you can
instll or use both (rhn-applet and yum-applet) at the same time.

Regards,
--
Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu>