jigdo distribution

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Nov 10 02:59:35 UTC 2004

Recomondation for FC4 - make the distribution fetchable via jigdo.
A big advantage of jigdo is it allows the user to use a local mirror to
fetch the rpm's etc. that are on the iso's - without the local mirror
needing to host iso files.

The torrent works well for fetching fedora - and should certainly
remain as a distribution option, but many people can not use torrent
because of firewall issues or company/school policy. Since jigdo uses
ftp/http and does not open ports for serving, that's not an issue.

I don't know of jigdo works with DVD images, but by the time a mirror
has packages, src packages, cd images, dvd images, that's a LOT of
space it needs and it just seems that a smarter solution would be
something like jigdo.

Just my opinion - it works exceptionally well for Debian.