nscd gotcha

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Wed Nov 10 22:59:40 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 13:34 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Ulrich Drepper <drepper at redhat.com> said:
> > Brian Millett wrote:
> > > I am playing with the /etc/nscd.conf to tune it for my particular
> > > setup, but I was wondering what triggers a refresh, or update of the
> > > cached database?
> >
> > Just reduce the positive-time-to-live value for hosts if the current one
> > is too long for you.  It is not in general.
>
> How hard would it be to make nscd look at the DNS TTL for an RR an honor
> it?

You can use nscd but turn off caching of DNS queries by editing
the /etc/nscd.conf.

Change:

        enable-cache            hosts           yes

        enable-cache            hosts           no

You can also leave it caching, but tweak the TTLs in the config as well.

This thread is funny. I first ran into nscd DNS caching issues on
Solaris 2.5 in 1996.

This fix I just posted worked back then too.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs