Problem with compiling packages

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Fri Nov 12 16:14:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 11:07 -0500, Amitabha Roy wrote:
> Hello:
> I have a rather run of the mill Fedora box running FC3 which for some reason
> refuses to compile large projects.  For example, lets say I check
> out CVS emacs, run configure and make, it starts the compilation process,
> runs for a while and then either the machine freezes (and I have to
> restart the machine)
> or it just reboots.
>
> The same thing happens when I try to recompile kdemultimedia
> according to the advice in
> http://www.holovaty.com/linux/fedorafaq/kde_mp3.html
>
> I do not know whether this a gcc leak or what it is.
>
> There is no log of what exactly causes this as far as I can see.
> Can someone please suggest ways I can debug this ?
> Or some way to hunt down the culprit ?
>
> Amitabha

Are you sure it is not a hardware problem?  I used to have problems with
my AMD cpu overheating during intensive tasks such as massive compiles.
This would trip the sensors that protect the CPU from melting and either
freeze the OS or reboot the machine.  Getting some silver conducting
paste from the local computer shop and resetting my heat sync fixed the
problem.

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Associate Software Engineer