the media check problem

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Nov 14 01:18:26 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 01:23:01AM +0100, Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
> So, why not set read ahead to 0 during the install process (or at least
> during the media check).

It might be an option if this isnt FC4 fixed but some drives without readahead
on slower PC's wouldnt be able to keep up with the data stream and it would
take days to run the verify

> I don't see anything here that depends on the hardware except perhaps
> hardware that does not support dma at all (blacklisted), or that does not
> use ide-cd. Maybe it's the combination of slow CPU and fast cd-rom that
> makes it perform more read ahead and increase the chance of generating an
> error (yet another guess :-).

I think some drives are smart about it and others just do what the spec
needs and no more

> A retry to find the real end of course would also solve it.

What scsi does is to say "read 128K", "got 80K and an error", are we at
the end. yes, adjust disk size.