Boot poster challenge

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Mon Nov 15 17:24:43 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 18:35 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> given the 7 second disk read time... 10 seconds is a bit unrealistic.
> One of the critical paths will be getting an IP address and mounting the
> /home dir over nfs... ethernet negotiation can easily be 10 seconds
> already with gige, and DHCP is depending on that to complete before it
> can get a lease.

But if you're stalling on network I/O, we could run the things that
don't need the network to be there at the same time.  There's enough of
it that I don't think dhcp should actually delay booting, if it's async.

Of course, if you're using NetworkManager, it already is... but there're
some kinks in that that still need smoothing over, like the part of
ntpd's initscript that does the initial clock sync never getting run
while the network is up.

--
        Peter