Killer apps/"selling" points of FC and GNU/Linux

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Mon Nov 15 22:10:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 21:08 +0100, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> All of us trying hard to convert friends etc to Linux - what are the
> arguments used?
>
> Mainly curious, but - why should people drop Windows (which they know,
> most of their programs often only runns there etc) and swich to Linux?
>
> Kyrre

All of my programs run on Linux.  Sure, I may miss out on some apps, but nowhere near as many as people would have you believe.  Of course, I really miss having Word crash on me constantly whenever I tried to save files.  And it's pretty terrible not having to shell out $100+ to be able to create PDF files.  And the ability to get timely updates to my apps when there are security issues, though they tend to be considerably less severe in any case. And then the fact that there is a new release of my OS every 6-8 months and yet, I don't have to pay a dime to upgrade!  And did I mention that I don't get "install cruft" building up everytime I install a piece of software since it's properly managed and I know what owns dang near every file?
--
David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>