RFE: more FC4 Requests

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Tue Nov 16 16:08:50 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:55:35 +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:

> [...] fedora.us (which was
> in turn partly based on my packages, Dag's packages and other packages...)

Matthias, you write "partly", but the way you write it ("and other
packages"), you make it sound as if the number of derived packages would
be worth mentioning at all.

Only few spec files of the >400 packages contain your name or Dag's name
in the changelog. Considering how many packagers have created packages
from scratch, derived upstream packages, transferred their own contrib
packages, and applied lots of fixes and improvements as part of
fedora.us QA, there are many ways to rephrase above quote and put it
more accurately. Credit where credit is due. But it should not sound
anything like the infamous "Mandrake Linux is based on Red Hat Linux"
(which was true in 1999, but not still five years later).

It would a pitty if some contributors simply took somebody's src.rpm and
cut off the spec changelog, retaining large sections of a previous
packager's work. But unless there's evidence that this has happened many
times, please don't downplay the packagers' achievements by highlighting
the few packages which were derived from yours or Dag's actually and
long ago. The fact that more than two hundred packages, which are not
available as packages from you or Dag, wait in the package submission
queue, is proof enough that there are more sources of packages,
including packages written from scratch.

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:03:01 +0100, Troels Arvin wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:55:35 +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:
>
> > What makes you think Dag and I don't collaborate with Extras? I guess
> > you're talking about fedora.us, not to be confused with "Fedora Extras"
>
> Sorry - I thought it was the same thing.

Fedora.us is not the Fedora Project's official "Fedora Extras". It's
still the current semi-official/unofficial Fedora Extras until it has
merged with the Fedora Project. The http://fedora.us has one or two
articles about that merger. fedora.redhat.com also links fedora.us as
the currently suggested way to contribute Fedora Extras packages. That
will change when the Fedora Project announces "Fedora Extras"
officially.

--
Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux 2.6.9-1.667
loadavg: 1.00 1.08 1.07