Boot poster challenge

Adrian Likins alikins at redhat.com
Wed Nov 17 00:59:50 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 06:43:50PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 06:29:40PM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
>
>  > Utterly. On multihead boxes I've seen it take 30% of the total CPU time
>  > and 20% of the network bandwidth. Its eeeeevil because it should be a
>  > service daemon so it runs *ONCE* and it should chat over dbus or something
>  > to the display which -should-not-flash- - it's very bad UI design (movement
>  > out of the user focus area is distracting) and sucks resources.
>
> It also gets 'stuck' sometimes, making the user believe that everything
> is up to date, whilst running up2date -l, or yum will find packages
> that need updating.  I've also seen it claim updates are available
> that running up2date on the command line can't find. *boggle*

	file a bug on any cases like that you see, I
haven't seen one in ages.

> The whole thing needs a bullet in its head imo.

	I'll buy the gun, the bullets, and the beer if
I get to shoot it.

>  > If someone could have that fixed and in testing tomorrow that would be
>  > fantastic ;)
>
> Wouldn't it be great ? They'd be my fedora hero-of-the-day.

	Not likely to happen. If it were my call, the rhn-applet
wouldn't be in Fedora at all (or at least, not on by default).
But I don't see anyone wanting to fix it and not just
replace it. Maybe for fc4...

Adrian
The unfortunate sap who got handed the rhn-applet to maintain...