rescue boot

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Wed Nov 17 10:48:41 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 02:44:19AM -0800, Jamie Zawinski wrote:
> Peter Backlund wrote:
> >
> > What about the ~70 meg rescuecd.iso? It fits on a CD/RW, and as the name
> > implies, it can be used for system recovery.
>
> Well, I didn't try that one, because in the past with RH, I remembered
> being able to just type "linux rescue" and get a shell right away!
> And the FC2 boot CD offers "rescue" as one of its options in the banner.
>
> Maybe you don't care that the boot CD isn't a rescue CD, but in that
> case, having it offer an option that says "rescue" is perhaps not the
> clearest way to communicate that.

But boot.iso provides rescue functionality.  It just needs stage2.img
for that, which it can fetch from various sources (it can be e.g. a local CD,
harddisk with .iso images, FTP/HTTP download of stage2.img from a Fedora
mirror or NFS mount).  Once it fetches it, it will offer you a shell prompt.

	Jakub