RFE: more FC4 Requests

Wed Nov 17 21:10:42 UTC 2004

[sigh, I think I've seen this thread before :-]
On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 23:34, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:08:28 +0100 (CET), Dag Wieers wrote:
> > Also explain me why I spend 3 months or more on the fedora.us mailinglist,
> > like so many other existing packagers (matthias, axel, rudolf, fernando,
> > russ, ..) and each one of them apparently decided not to.
>
> Which name did Rudolf use on that list? Wanted to check out his
> comments, but cannot find his name in the list archives at all.
> Concerning Fernando, there's a total of 7 messages from him in the
> archives. One message on Nov 8th 2003, the other six between Dec 20th
> 2003 and Dec 22nd 2003.

I had a nice initial exchange of personal emails with Phillip Compton
and I subscribed to the list on June 10 2003. Maybe an explanation is in
order to put things in context in my particular case.

At that point in time the goal of Planet CCRMA repository (a side effect
of the working linux environment for audio and music that I maintain at
CCRMA[*]) implied having low latency tweaked kernels available, a
matching alsa audio subsystem and other stuff I surely forget that made
nonsensical its inclusion in fedora.us. Available time was also a
factor, doing oss-only packages would not have made any sense at all.

After a while it became more and more clear to me that fedora.us (or at
least the people that were being heard on the lists) was not going to
accept the reality of existing, working and growing 3rd party
repositories, and the (to me) obvious need of some degree of
cooperation. While I understand the rational arguments behind that
position, I have seen - in my experience - that rationalizing reality
away does not work.

-- Fernando

[*]
http://ccrma.stanford.edu