Boot poster challenge

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Nov 18 03:04:23 UTC 2004

Mark Heslep writes:

> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> Arjan van de Ven writes:
>>

>> Add 30 seconds if you're booting off aic79xx.o
>>
>> Why does loading that gawd-awful microcode take so long?
>>
>> I don't notice ANY delay when booting XP on the same box.
>>
>> It shouldn't take more than one or two seconds to initialize the SCSI
>> card.
>>

> Same with mptscsi / mptbase here. At least 30 (x2 - once in the bios
> post and again when the kernel driver loads)

Well, BIOS POST you can't do anything about.

But XP initializes an Adaptec SCSI controller in, at most, 1-2 seconds.

No way did Microsoft write the SCSI driver code themselves.  It had to have
come from Adaptec, at some point down the line.

So, if Adaptec is, supposedly, gung-ho about Linux these days, why can't
they produce a version of aic7xxx.ko that doesn't give you plenty of time to
brew a pot of coffee, before it's done whatever the hell it's doing?