Finding the "best" mirror

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at mr700.cjb.net
Fri Nov 19 19:00:14 UTC 2004

On 2004-11-19 (Friday) 10:29, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> I wonder if yum could do a reverse dns lookup, and then do a
> right-to-left matching trick on the name vs the mirrors (perhaps
> excepting .com/.net/.org); that way for me, I get at least mirrors in
> .nl, and if my ISP's mirror gets into the mirror list, I'll always get
> that one.

    This method will not work in all cases (.edu, in Bulgaria the official
mirror is http://mirrors.evrocom.net /high .bg domain tax/). What about
using http://www.freenet.org.nz/python/ip2country/ip2country.py or similar
solution? Or make a 'worldmap' file that can be used by yum to determinate
the best mirror /f(MyIP, bandwidth, hops, rtt)/?

     BTW: how did you get this header, I mean your email inside?
 Development discussions related to Fedora Core <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79                        http://pgp.mit.edu
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79