Soudcard detection problem in FC3

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Sat Nov 20 23:03:18 UTC 2004

Hi,

I apologize if I'm posting it to the wrong place. I posted this message
to the users' group, but noone seemd to have a clue about it, so this
seems to be the last place to try. I'm sorry for the size, I just tried
to put as much information as possible here. Here it goes.

I did a clean intall of FC3 on a Dell Precision 410 Workstation (P-III
450MHz). According to the specs, it has an Intel 440 BX chipset with a
16 bit PnP Crystal 3D CS4237B audio controller (my guess is it's
onboard).  However, FC3 just dones't recognize the sound card.

During the installation or startup, I don't get any messages, but I just
don't get any sound. I've already tried adjusting all the volumes and,
when I use the soundcard detection utility ("system-config-soundcard") I
get the message "No soundcards detected". It seems as if Linux just
doesn't detect my soundcard.

The following lines were extracted from /var/log/messages :
Nov 16 08:26:51 patroclus kernel: isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
Nov 16 08:26:51 patroclus kernel: isapnp: Card 'CS4236B'
Nov 16 08:26:51 patroclus kernel: isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total

which makes me belive the sound card was detected ok. But still no
sound! This is what the Hardware Browser shows:
Sound Cards:
   Selected Device: CS4236B - CSC000      [note that my soundcard should
be CS4237B]
   Device Information
      Manufacturer: Unknown
      Driver: snd-cs4236

Unknownd Devices:
   Selected Device: CS4236B - CDC000f
   Device Information:
      Manufacturer: Unknown
      Driver: ns-558

   Selected Device: CS4236B - CSC0010
   Device Information:
      Manufacturer: Unknown
      Driver: Unknown

Did anyone experience similar problems before? Is there a solution for
it already?

Thanks,

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department