Various Fedora Extra changes (mailing list?), plus is APT now deprecated? (various responses)

Andreas andreas at conectiva.com.br
Sun Nov 21 18:12:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 05:05:22PM +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Additionally, since yum was written for rpm rather than ported to rpm,
> it's code base is much smaller.

I call that short sighted :)

> While it may not be true anymore, Apt use to do things kind of dirty -
> using its own dependency resolution and telling rpm to ignore its
> dependency resolution, thus yum was better integrated with rpm.

Emphasis on *was*. apt-rpm doesn't do that anymore for a long time now.

> Also - and you *may* be able to do this with apt, but I don't think so,
> want to install a group of packages you forgot to select at CD install
> time?
>
> yum grouplist

That is totally distro-dependent. No need to have the package tool to implement
this separately. Just use meta-packages.

For example: apt-get install task-profile-sambaserver

Where task-profile-sambaserver is a simple rpm package with no files whatsoever
which exists just to pull in the right dependencies.

> That will show what is available.

apt-cache search task-profile

> yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
>
> That will install the KDE Desktop Environment

apt-get install task-kde

> yum is really nice - and the current metadata yum has improved in speed
> signifigantly.

I'm sure it is, and believe me when I say I'm not trying to tell you that
apt is better or worse: I'm just showing how the things you said are done
in the apt-rpm world.

BTW, why doesn't yum stop when I hit CTRL-C to abort an update in progress?