OpenOffice.org widget fonts

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Mon Nov 22 15:54:04 UTC 2004

On Monday 22 November 2004 08:02 am, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 07:34:35PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > > What desktop environment are you using?  OOo pulls the UI font from the
> > > desktop environment, in the GNOME case from GTK, and in the KDE case
> > > from QT.  You should try changing the system-wide application font to
> > > see if that helps.  But if you could check a copule things:
> >
> > I get the same problem btw - Gnome uses a sensible font but OpenOffice
> > chooses some ghastly fixed font for the widgets. In my case this is
> > locale dependant and the bug was put down to font issues and limits in
> > Oo's font capabilities compared with Gnome/KDE.
>
> Ok, this is a known bug then, the OOo KDE code needs to do fontconfig
> substitution on the font that KDE returns using LANG as the constraint.
>
> Dan

Hello, Everyone :)
This weekend I had to use Gnome for a day or two, and I was struck by how much
better OpenOffice 1.9m62 looked in Gnome than it does in KDE.  Before I get
into this, I need to say that this might not have anything to do with the
problem you are having.  I found the configuration setting that fixed my
problem at the following location: "Tools | Options | OpenOffice.org | View"
On that window was this item: "Use system font for user interface"  I
unchecked that box, clicked OK and OpenOffice.org 1.9m62 now looks just as
good in KDE as it does in GNOME.

I do apologize if this had nothing to do with your problem.

Steven P. Ulrick