kernel versions

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Nov 22 18:50:46 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 10:44:21AM -0600, Brian Millett wrote:
 > I am a bit confussed as to the versions of the kernel in rawhide.  The
 > only reference is from Dave in:
 > http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-November/msg00894.html
 >
 > "Ignore the version numbers, they're irrelevant between the
 > streams right now."
 >
 > I see that in rawhide are "kernel-2.6.9-1.650_devel*" packages.  The
 > latest that I yumed was kernel-2.6.9-1.667.

Here's what happened (version numbers here are not exact, but
used as example).

Before FC3 'went gold', work was happening in 'devel'.
When it got to revision 649, it was branched into an FC3 dir.
FC3 then got more updates and fixes, and eventually ended
up at rev 667.

Instead of incrementally adding each change that went
into FC3 one-by-one into devel/, I added them all
wholesale into rev 650 of devel.

So they contain pretty much the same stuff, but
due to the way I did the commits, it has a lower
number. I'm going to 'cheat', and bump up
rawhide a few hundred revs before I do another build
which should ease the confusion a little over
'which is newer'.

		Dave