Stale NFS Filehandles and Permission Denied

Hugh Caley Hugh_Caley at affymetrix.com
Tue Nov 23 01:05:30 UTC 2004

We recently migrated our main storage to a Nexsan Atabeast fronted by
two PC's running Fedora Core 2.   We are being plagued by  "Stale NFS
Filehandle" and "Permission Denied" errors on machines mounting the
shares provided by the two PC's.  Very sporadic, but annoying.

I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason for this.  Clients that have
seen the problem include a machine running RH 7.3 accessing a mount in
fstab, to a Fedora Core 1 client automounting a share.  Many times just
running 'ls' on the share a few times will suddenly make it accessable.
Other times a umount/mount is required.

The server machines are running Fedora Core 2 and kernel
2.6.9-1.3_FC2smp.  The exported filesystems are ReiserFS on LVM2
volumes.  Qlogic QLA2300 fibre adaptors connect the heads to the Nexsan
Atabeast.

After reading some traffic on the Linux kernel list, I added the
"no_subtree_check" option to the fstab entries on the servers and
re-exported.  It doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.

I'm not seeing error messages in /var/log/messages on either the clients
nor the hosts.

Anyone else seeing this?  Any ideas?  Otherwise the performance on the
new systems beats the hell out of our old EMC Celerra; the users are
rather happy with it save for this little problem.

Hugh

--
Hugh Caley | Unix Systems Administrator | CIS
AFFYMETRIX, INC. | 6550 Vallejo St. Ste 100 | Emeryville, CA 94608
Tel: 510-428-8537 | Hugh_Caley at affymetrix.com