/proc/config.gz support on? Why not?

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Wed Nov 24 14:07:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 07:48 -0600, Sam Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 12:30 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> consideration, which it apparently has not. Enabling
> the /proc/config.gz option is incredibly useful in many Fortune 500
> developer groups, but  since we have these myriad workarounds it should
> probably be removed as a kernel config option.  Thanks for the dialog.

eh you still haven't shown what value it adds over the file *already*
shipped as /boot/config-`uname -r`. Do you *really* care that much about
/boot vs /proc ????
In other words, what is the added value to add these several kb to all
users' kernel?
Without showing what the value is, how can you expect anyone to make the
tradeoff in your favor ?