ACPI Causing Laptop To Emit High-pitch Whine

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Fri Nov 26 00:03:05 UTC 2004

Hi all:

T30 laptop here; I know there's quite a few IBM-toting folks here, so
I'm tossing this message here.

ACPI causes some wierd interaction with possibly a capacitor near the
CPU fan which makes it vibrate at a frequency that the human ear can
detect.  Course, if your AC is on, you're in the office, outside, etc.
you're not going to hear it or care.  But, when you'd like to retreat
to a quiet setting to hack on some stuff it gets très annoying with
this thing whining at you. (Like, you already get enough of that from
others during the day...)

Anyhow, found a piece here that it happens on DELL:

http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2003/Dec/1037.html

I notice that we config in thermal.ko statically:

CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y

So, guess I'll have to rebuild to do some experimenting.

But, anyway, if you have suggestions, comments, off-topic redirects, let
me know.

thanks,
--
-jeff