Eina - gtk2 replacement for xmms

Steven Garrity stevelist at silverorange.com
Mon Nov 29 00:56:55 UTC 2004

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Sindre Pedersen Bjordal wrote:
>> Totem offers this kind of functionality, and because both rhythmbox
>> and totem uses gstreamer, I would think we already have a good solution
>> both of the playback scenarios with minimum hassle.
>
> Yes, and I currently use totem that way. Hopefully in fc4 totem will be
> in default gnome desktop install, rather than needing to be selected.
>
> But totem has a rather large interface when it starts up, it in a movie
> player.
>
> Something like xmms but gtk2 and GStreamer is what I long for. Gamp is
> nice, and even works well for me - even with aac files (which Rhythmbox
> doesn't - yet ...) but Eina has the best interface I've seen (so far)
> and (well, it doesn't work for me) allows you to load a single song or
> load from a playlist.

Totem always has a simple set of audio/video controls and simple
playlist abilities. I'd rather see Totem tweaked a bit to be a good XMMS
replacement rather than introduce ANOTHER media player.

Not sure what the Helix player is doing in here - works well, but seems
redundant with Totem/Rhythmbox. Perhaps it's in here because of
RealNetworks/Redhat agreements?

Steven Garrity