Suggestion for some network parameter defaults

Ralf Ertzinger fedora-devel at camperquake.de
Mon Nov 29 14:56:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 03:35:15PM +0100, "Nils O. Selåsdal" wrote:

> > net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects         (current: 1, proposed: 0)
> Any good reason for this ? I find it nice if a router tells me to
> send stuff elsewhere rather.

I think the majority of installations has only one possible gateway.
And serious failover solutions no not need this because they share
the IP (and maybe even the MAC). I'd rather not have everyone mess
with my routing table.

> > net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts       (current: 0, proposed: 1)
> And this ?

As I said, if you really need this, you can enable it. I just think that
the majority does not need it (and as Alan already posted, it can be
used to fool around.)