Elektrified X.org released (was: X configuration paradigm, and a proposal)

Darrin Thompson darrint at progeny.com
Tue Nov 30 18:14:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 12:43 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> I'm all for improving the situation with around auto configuration of
> hardware, but with all due respect, I think you guys are trying to solve
> the symptom, not the real problem. In my view you really want the X
> server to be able to export an API for software higher up the stack
> (GNOME, KDE, etc.) to configure the X server. You also want to
> reconfigure it while it's running. It seems to me, that putting in an
> mediator, for basically writing out configuration files, is not the best
> API for doing this. I could be wrong though. Ideally the X server
> wouldn't even touch hardware before someone used that API to say "Add
> monitor, Add input device, blah blah".

Elektra does not prevent any of what you describe.

The current implementation does appear to assume (I've not tried it)
that the current X config should map to neatly to key/value pairs in a
similarly shaped namespace. The namespace of those pairs seems to be a
sticking point. Seems that once you separate input config from monitor
config at the file level, keeping them together as "X" config doesn't
make so much sense anymore.

Elektra also doesn't solve world hunger, but it definitely makes some
exsiting issues stink more.

--
Darrin